A professional quality, synthetic hair brush. Monarch mimics the look and feel of natural mongoose hair (now an endangered species). Designed for use with oil color, it is made from polyester filaments and provides a stiffer alternative to sable but is softer than hog bristle. This brush is excellent for subtle blending, glazing and fine detail work. As a synthetic brush, Monarch is more durable than natural hair and has excellent spring. This makes it ideal for moving heavy bodied oil color as well as being less prone to damage from solvents or paint.
- Brights: Length and width of brush is generally squared. Similar to flats, but shorter hairs make a stiffer brush.
- Egberts(Long Filbert): The Classic Egbert is a filbert with extra-long hair. This is a more traditional brush used by the Old Masters, typically for oil painting.
- Fans: Brush fibers are spread out making it useful for subtle blending and for textural effects.
- Filberts: Create a softer edge than a flat or bright.
- Flats: Longer hairs than a bright, this brush has more flex and a large color carrying capability.
- Glazing/Wash: A wide, flat brush used primarily to lay-in large amounts of color, to wet paper, or for blending.
- Rounds: Smaller sizes are typically used for detail work and larger sizes tend to be used for washes and filling in color.